[mythtv-users] ivtv settings and recording with mythtv

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Sep 21 18:05:08 UTC 2007

robl wrote:
> The default output set by MythTV when starting a recording seems to be 0
> (S-Video + Composite) but only setting 2 seems to give colour output.  I
> assume mythtv is setting the ivtv settings when it initiates a
> recording, unfortunately it seems to be setting the output to 0,
> overriding my original setting of 2 (from v4l2-ctl).  I have tried all
> the options in mythtv-setup under Capture-Cards->Default Input but this
> doesn't seem to make any difference (is this the correct setting ?).

You shouldn't need to touch v4l2/ivtv when using Myth. Providing the drivers
load OK (including the firmware), Myth controls almost everything itself.

Are you sure you have configured this as the right type of card? The first field
in the Mthtv-setup->Capture Cards screen is a combo box. You should have cycled
it to the setting "MPEG-2 Encoder Card (PVR-x50, PVR-500)". Then go to the
bottom and choose "Tuner 1". Hit Finish and you should be good to go.

If you leave the first field as default, you will get a software encoder and all
sorts of grief will ensue.

Mike Perkins