[mythtv-users] ivtv settings and recording with mythtv

robl robl at monkeyhelper.com
Fri Sep 21 17:52:12 UTC 2007

Hi

I have successfully set up my MythTV combined frontend and backend
machine but I am experiencing black and white programs with scheduled
recordings.  I have determined this is due to the fact that I have had
to call v4l2-ctl to set the correct output on the card :

 v4l2-ctl -i 2

My available outputs are :

root at crushinator:~# v4l2-ctl --list-outputs
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMOUTPUT
        Output  : 0
        Name    : S-Video + Composite
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Standard: 0x0000000000FFFFFF ( PAL NTSC SECAM )

        Output  : 1
        Name    : Composite
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Standard: 0x0000000000FFFFFF ( PAL NTSC SECAM )

        Output  : 2
        Name    : S-Video
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Standard: 0x0000000000FFFFFF ( PAL NTSC SECAM )

        Output  : 3
        Name    : RGB
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Standard: 0x0000000000FFFFFF ( PAL NTSC SECAM )

        Output  : 4
        Name    : YUV C
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Standard: 0x0000000000FFFFFF ( PAL NTSC SECAM )

        Output  : 5
        Name    : YUV V
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Standard: 0x0000000000FFFFFF ( PAL NTSC SECAM )

The default output set by MythTV when starting a recording seems to be 0
(S-Video + Composite) but only setting 2 seems to give colour output.  I
assume mythtv is setting the ivtv settings when it initiates a
recording, unfortunately it seems to be setting the output to 0,
overriding my original setting of 2 (from v4l2-ctl).  I have tried all
the options in mythtv-setup under Capture-Cards->Default Input but this
doesn't seem to make any difference (is this the correct setting ?).

How can I tell mythtv to set output 2 rather than 0 ?

My machine is running Ubuntu Feisty, Epia MII10000 with a WinTV PVR-350
(uk pal).

Thanks !