[mythtv-users] Hardcode Closed Caption (teletext) into video frame before writing to mpeg.

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 21 03:30:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 09:34:18PM -0500, Bill wrote:
> I am aware that Closed Caption (teletext) uses VBI to overlay the
> caption (text) on top of the video before sending video out to TV or
> Monitor but the overlay is not saved into the mpeg video frame.
>
> Is there a way to set or a setting to force MythTV to hardcode the VBI
> overlay into the video frame before it saved into mpeg file? Or is it
> something that can be written as a plugin for MythTV?  If no setting
> exists or plugin then I will donate for such feature or plugin
>
> I wanted to be able to take mpeg with me and watch it on any mpeg player
> and still have caption without having to find or look for a "special"
> mpeg player that could decode the caption from mpeg file.

It's in there somewhere, clearly, though I don't know whether Hauppauge
cards MPEg encode line 21, or decode the captions and put them
somewhere else.

What you're looking for, though, is something akin to a "window dub",
which is the traditional name for a tape made off the output of a
timecode decoder/display unit, except with the captions.

Mplayer's mencoder *might* be able to do what you're looking for; it
can handle lots of subtitle formats; EIA captions might be one of them.
I haven't looked into that aspect of it deeply, lately.

Cheers,
-- jra