[mythtv-users] warnings and recommendations on my new mythtv box

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 17 15:05:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:58:08AM -0400, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> Samsung's are supposed to be good drives, but I've had nothing but
> praise for my Seagates  (WITH their especially long warranty period).
> Of the 12 Seagates I've had, in a mixture of large capacity, smaller
> drives, and laptop drives, I've had only one failure after years of
> abuse, after it spent some time in a non-ventilated homemade acoustic
> box.   When that one failed, they overnighted me the replacement along
> with shipping material to send the other drive back after I recovered
> the data off it for something like $20 bucks shipping.  Their response
> to my drive failure made me a life long Seagate fan, and they are only
> slightly less quiet than the best Spinpoints.

I have installed perhaps 100 Seagates over the last 20 years, maybe as
many as 200.  I have had to RMA *3*.  There's a reason for those 5 year
warranties, people: the drives outlast the machines you put them in.

And their 500GB is $109 at NewEgg (or was, 2 months ago).

Do check out the notes recently on firmware vs throughput, though; they
apparently tried an experiment and got caught.

Cheers,
-- jra