[mythtv-users] Enabling remote X display???

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Sep 17 05:53:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 00:02 -0400, Peter Watkins wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 08:47:24PM -0700, Doug Young wrote:
> > OK...in a terminal window on the backend:
> >
> > [user at backend]$ xhost+
> > [user at backend]$ ssh frontend
> > [user at frontend]$ export DISPLAY=backend:0
> > [user at frontend]$ nvidia-settings --ctrl-display=:0
> >
> > That should do the trick...does for me.
>
> You mean "xhost +". "xhost +frontend" would be better, but that's a
> horribly insecure technique and should only be used if you trust every
> other device on your network *and* you've given up on making SSH's X
> tunneling work properly. And even then, you should run "xhost -" on
> backend to close the hole once you're done.
>
> (Hopefully this wouldn't even work; hopefully backend would be
> running a packet filter "firewall" that would block incoming
> connection attempts to TCP/6000 *and* would run X11 on Unix sockets
> instead of TCP sockets. Doug, are you really running a distro whose
> X server listens for TCP connections?)

On Fedora and RHEL, it won't work.  By default, they both disable X from
listening on a TCP port.

Easiest method would be to:
1. Check /etc/ssh/sshd_config for the X11Forwarding option, set it to
yes, and restart sshd.
2. From your desktop, do a "ssh -Y user at host"
3. Check the value of $DISPLAY

If this doesn't work (again, I'm speaking from a Fedora/RHEL
perspective) then you probably need xauth installed.

	-I