[mythtv-users] Enabling remote X display???

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Sep 17 05:56:57 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 21:29 -0700, Doug Young wrote:
> All my machines sit behind a firewall that I trust (except the
> firewall itself)...so yes, I trust all 13 machines on my -intranet-.
> I honestly see very little reason to encrypt traffic between my
> television machines.  My personal data is plenty protected...the worst
> someone is going to do is break into my database and make me miss a
> couple episodes of Bones...I think I might live through that.

That's honestly not the worst thing that someone can do.  10 Windows
boxes would make a decent addition to someone's botnet. I'm just
saying...

> Honestly, in the 4 years since I set it up, my intranet has been
> intrusion free (my firewall has been probed, prodded, and poked a few
> times, but that's about it) and virus free.  That's 10 windows boxen
> and 3 Linux (plus the firewall, but I count that different because for
> all it's a box, it's more an appliance than a machine that gets used).
> I don't run much internal security, because I want to see what my kids
> are doing, I want to be able to look over their shoulders via VNC,
> etc.  If I want to come -in- from the outside, I use SSH tunnels to
> get through the firewall, but internally, we're trusted.

Fair enough... though X tunneled over SSH is considered today to be the
default way to get remote X connections in many OSes.  The "xhost +" way
has been pretty much deprecated for years, which is why most Linux
distros turn off TCP:6000 for X.

	-I