[mythtv-users] Enabling remote X display???

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 18 02:59:24 UTC 2007

On 09/17/2007 01:53 AM, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Fedora and RHEL, it won't work.  By default, they both disable X from
> listening on a TCP port.
>
> Easiest method would be to:
> 1. Check /etc/ssh/sshd_config for the X11Forwarding option, set it to
> yes, and restart sshd.
> 2. From your desktop, do a "ssh -Y user at host"
> 3. Check the value of $DISPLAY
>
> If this doesn't work (again, I'm speaking from a Fedora/RHEL
> perspective) then you probably need xauth installed.

And, really, using "ssh -Y", as Ian suggests, is better than using "ssh
-X"--unless, of course, you suspect that the program you're executing
may be logging keystrokes or stealing clipboard data or something.  (I
haven't yet found the code in Myth that does this, so I use "ssh -Y" for
it.  Granted, I can't check nvidia-settings's code, but I'd probably
trust it as much over ssh as I would when running it locally.)

Mike