[mythtv-users] Your thoughts on Cases .. The hardest part of the whole HTPC Process

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:22:15 UTC 2007

> Now comes the hardest part of the WHOLE HTPC Process IMO, the damned CASE.
>
> They current case I am looking at is the following:
>
> nMEIDAPC HTPC 200BA Black Aluminum / Plastic / Steel Micro ATX Media Center
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004

That looks a lot like my case.  My case is a Silverstone LC-something
or other.  I don't recall the exact number.  That one looks enough
like mine I'd be surprised if it doesn't have very similar problems.

I've got four drives and two encoders crammed into mine, with a Zalman
flower heatsink.  Quite simply the case is crammed.  That one actually
looks to be a hair more narrow than mine is, which will only
exaggerate the problem.

In particular, with the layout of my case, the back of the hard drive
cage actually presses against the ATX power cord.  On that one, with
the mobo you listed, the pictures look like you'll have a little more
clearance, with the cords running under the DVD bay.

On the other hand, despite higher temps from the restrictive airflow
in the case, it's beautiful, and it looks like that one will be too.
A pretty case like that really boosts the WAF.

Just keep in mind that the reduced desktop style form factor can be
fairly limiting for what can be put inside.  If I had it to do over
again, I'd have found the largest HTPC type case I could for better
airflow.

Ry