[mythtv-users] Your thoughts on Cases .. The hardest part of the whole HTPC Process

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:23:27 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me first add.. I am on a budget.. Now on to the rest

[snip

They current case I am looking at is the following:

> nMEIDAPC HTPC 200BA Black Aluminum / Plastic / Steel Micro ATX Media
> Center
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004
>
> First things I notice are:
>
> No front IR
> What the hell good do the front AV Capture ports do?
>
> Under "Features" it lists S/PDIF Output Jack, but I didn't see it
> anywhere..
> Must be on the back somewhere
>
> Also under "Features" it lists Universal Internal IR Rack.. What the heck
> does
> that mean? Would I just have to run the IR and lay it on the top of the
> unit?
> Strange..

OK...first off, check
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/nMedia_HTPC200BA/index.shtml.  They
have a review of that case, and it shows where all the headers, etc are
located.  It also shows the IR tray and the S/PDIF out.  Make sure to look
around and ensure motherboard compatiblility with those features (ie, if
your mobo / sound card don't have an internal s/pdif connector, what good
does that port do you?)

I am in the process of making that same decision.  However, I am looking at
the Silverstone LC11M case.  First, it's smaller, which is fine.  My VCR
doesn't need all those gizmo's on the front, and neither does my Myth
FrontEnd.  While the $180 pricetag is daunting at first, realize that it
-comes with- a compatible IR receiver, remote, and power supply (all of
which aren't included in the NMedia case above), as well as a Linux
compatible (and mythtv compatible) VFD, rather than an LCD that shows a
pre-defined set of parameters such as temp, speed, etc.  If you figure
$30ish for the remote, and $40ish for the power supply, then you're only
spending an extra $20 for that VFD, and you get a nice sleek design.

Hope that helps.
--
Doug