[mythtv-users] Strange error in mythbackend.log

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 13 01:41:45 UTC 2007

On 09/12/2007 10:35 AM, Jon wrote:
> Okay, looking at this thread
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/247813? 
> search_string=SetInputAndFormat%20failed;#247813
> I have the same error, but I have verified that my recording  
> directory is there. Also, I have recordings failing to change the  
> channel, but if I go to live TV, it has no problem changing channels,  
> further, while in live TV it will interrupt and ask if you want to  
> change the channel and record when a scheduled show is about to come  
> on, and if you say ok, it will change the channel successfully.
> So, I searched some more. Found this:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/279121? 
> search_string=SetInputAndFormat%20failed;#279121
> which referred me to this
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
> but the interesting thing is, that is exactly what I did BEFORE I  
> started getting these issues. I was having problems downloading the  
> listings, so I deleted all sources, and then added back the one  
> source. So, I'm trying it again as I type this.
> Okay, I deleted my capture card, all sources, and re-added the card,  
> then the listings source, put the source on the input, and ran a  
> mythfill, I set a listing (I was fortunate that it was 3 minutes to  
> 7:30, so I didn't have to wait long) and it changed the channel with  
> no error.
> I don't know why this was happening before, but it would seem I have  
> fixed the problem. Any input as to what may have happened when I used  
> the delete all sources the first time?

Nice detective work.  I haven't been posting enough "delete all"
replies, lately, it seems.  Glad you dug one of my old ones out and it
worked for you.  :)

Basically, though, if your input connections configuration is broken,
it's very likely that you won't see the breakage through the UI (and you
don't want to dig into the DB directly).  So, "Delete all" is often a
magic cure--but /only/ if everything goes exactly right during the
re-configuration step.  I'd guess that the first time after your delete
all something "broke" while you were reconfiguring.  The second time
through (thanks to all the practice you'd gotten) everything worked for you.

Mike "Delete all" Dean

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list