[mythtv-users] Why not MythArchive on Frontend only?

Eric Robinson ryunokokoro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 01:46:21 UTC 2007

Ken Scales wrote:
> Eric Robinson wrote:
>
>> Certainly a bit of transcoding has to occur.  Why not have the backend
>> do the transcoding/ISO preparation and then ship it off to the Frontend
>> for burning?
>>

> That's pretty much how I've been doing things lately...  have the
> backend do the transcoding and dvd authoring, and then burn from my desktop.
>
> Mytharchive creates the DVD image in "<workspace>/work/dvd" where
> "workspace" is an area you configure for mytharchive.  (Sorry, rusty on
> details, but it's part of setting up Mytharchive.)
>
> My Knoppmyth FE/BE system is set up to export this directory (actually a
> couple of levels up in the heirarchy, because I have some other
> directories I share within my local LAN).  My desktop (Ubuntu Fiesty
> Fawn) mounts this filesystem as "/mnt/myth-SATA/".
>
> I run Mytharchive on the BE to just create the DVD filestructure -- not
> the .iso.
>
>  From my desktop, I then use VLC to preview the authored DVD before
> burning it.  Script in /usr/local/bin/previewdvd (chmod 755):
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>
>     DVDDIR=/mnt/myth-SATA/MYTHARCHIVE
>
>     vlc $DVDDIR/dvd
>

> If the playback looks like what I want, I then burn it to DVD, also from
> the desktop.  Script in /usr/local/bin/burnmytharchive (chmod 755):
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>
>     cd /mnt/myth-SATA/MYTHARCHIVE
>
>     nice -n10 growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrw -dvd-video ./dvd/
>
>     eject /dev/dvdrw
>
>     echo ""
>     echo "Image has been burned to DVD."
>     echo ""
>

> Note that I let growisofs do the .iso formatting, as it reduces the
> runtime of Mytharchive.  (Yeah, I know -- the above scripts could use
> some tidying up and error checking.  Maybe later...)  Since the Mac is
> also a Unix-alike, something similar should be possible there.  And if
> you don't like the command-line, it would be quite easy to make a clicky
> applet to invoke the above scripts.
>
> I really find Mytharchive useful (actually, mythburn.py, as I always use
> it directly from a ssh login from my desktop).  Thanks, Paul H!
>
> Cheers,
> Ken

That looks like good stuff!  The only thing is that I'd like to set this
up in a "never need a desktop" situation.  This proves that it's doable,
though, if nothing else.  And perhaps even hints at an implementable
solution for it (if any devs feel it worthy of their time)?...  In
theory it should be doable from the couch.

- Eric