[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 17:19:11 UTC 2007

On 9/10/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> That said, current 2.6 kernels really blow 2.4 out of the water when
> it comes to memory management.  My 2.4 systems suffer from allocation
> failures caused by memory fragmentation, and have to be rebooted
> every few weeks as a result; I've never seen that in 2.6.

I think I used to have that problem on my 2.4-based Mythbox until I
finally broke down and added some paging space. After running for a
few days, suddenly IVTV would be unable to allocate buffers and I
would have to reboot.

I had been very hesitant to add paging space because the VMM would
tend to favour caching the recording files and push useful things ---
like Myth itself --- out to disk. It really slowed things down. I'm
not sure whether there were changes made in Myth or the kernel, but it
doesn't behave nearly as badly now.

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent