[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 17:19:11 UTC 2007

On 9/10/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> That said, current 2.6 kernels really blow 2.4 out of the water when
> it comes to memory management.  My 2.4 systems suffer from allocation
> failures caused by memory fragmentation, and have to be rebooted
> every few weeks as a result; I've never seen that in 2.6.

I think I used to have that problem on my 2.4-based Mythbox until I
finally broke down and added some paging space. After running for a
few days, suddenly IVTV would be unable to allocate buffers and I
would have to reboot.

I had been very hesitant to add paging space because the VMM would
tend to favour caching the recording files and push useful things ---
like Myth itself --- out to disk. It really slowed things down. I'm
not sure whether there were changes made in Myth or the kernel, but it
doesn't behave nearly as badly now.

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent