[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:45:42 UTC 2007

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com

> -How many of them have ToS that specifically prohibits scraping?
> -How many of them will start changing their output to a non-scrapable format
> once 5000 people start hitting them?
>

> We've run through these problems in Australia, and I really believe that
> oztivo + shepherd have the answer down pat.

I'd love to see a shepherd extension for use in the US market.  I
can't answer these questions, I'm not sure who can, or will.

It does seem the Sheppard extension parts could be done, and someone
might do it.  It won't be me, but hopefully people working on the
scraper projects are listening to this (but maybe still hanging back
in the shadows?).

I do question if the OzTivo equivalent will ever be done in the US,
the legality is just so intimidating here, and IMHO, yes Opinion, a
non-centralized redistribution method would be needed.  I'd love to
here people disagree and show an alternate, but it seems that's the
part with the biggest obstacles, IMHO.

Of the time I've spent on this, I've spent half my time poking
existing stuff on my own system to come up with scripts.  And the
other half of my time was probably wasted feeding the trolls on
something I am unsuccessfully trying to ignore.  I think it's about
time I find this Shepherd project and read all the docs and whatever
source code I can find.  I can't intelligently comment on how workable
or useful it would be, other than "seems to be a good code base to
organize US scraper projects" (a totally uninformed, off the cuff
opinion).

This is the first time I heard oztivo + shepherd mentioned in the same
breath.  I'd sort of wondered.  I guess I can figure it out myself.