[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:14:34 UTC 2007

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
> The minnie.tuhs.org site is designed specifically for PVRs and so they
> provide an XMLTV data source. I just have a simple python script in
> /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_au and mythfilldatabase works automatically. Because
> it's community run, they've "only" got data a few days in advance, but
> that's perfect for MythTV -- it can do all it's fancy scheduling with no
> problems.
>
> Dean.

I've also spotted a randomized cron job people use to run the scripts,
so they don't all pull the data at the same time, very clever.  I
really like that randomize line for crontab, I'm going to be using
that for something in the future, I'm sure of that, just no idea what
yet!

30 2 * * * sleep $(expr $RANDOM \% 14400) && COMMANDHERE

What I'm gathering is this centralized data source in Australia is
reason for Australian users to not necessarily need an Export script
immediately.

To make that more universal, the name of the script to be run should
be something that a user can enter manually, and maybe even broken
into two separate parts?

Part 1) A GUI front-end to setup a cron job to run the script is a
very generic feature, and could be used to run the script that
downloads the xmltv file Australians, and potentially others use.

Part 2) And a separate GUI setup for mythfilldatabase to regularly
check a fixed position for an xmltv file to import would also be a
universally usable option.

Just thoughts, not asking anyone to do it, just thinking out loud
about possibilities at the moment.