[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 06:53:46 UTC 2007

> Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com wrote
>
> > Well, it seems, IMHO, people won't do that here because they are a bit
> > to chicken to get involved, fearing they will have their door kicked
> > in and equipment confiscated or some such paranoia.
>
> Sigh. And you were doing so well...

Actually, I wasn't pointing fingers, I was pointing out what I thought
was probably a realistic limitation of the concept of a centralized
data source.  Maybe guilty of phrasing it too colorfully…

But I really do think that we won't see anyone volunteer a server and
bandwidth to this project like this in the US.  I think if it were to
happen, it would require some decentralized distribution method.  And,
I'll admit, that is my opinion, not proven fact.  You may disagree, no
big deal, do you think someone would really lend up a server and
bandwidth for that?

I'm just suggesting if one were to plan a solution, IMHO, the effort
might be appreciated by people using peer-to-peer, and IMHO would be a
huge gamble to start a project hoping someone would donate a server
and bandwidth.

To be honest, I'm quite pleased to see all all the URLS to the snips
of code out there than might be used, all the conversation about
actual data that exists, and ideas.  I've not decided where I'd be
willing to start to contribute yet.  But I've openly shared my
opinions about where and why I would pick parts to work on, and it's
looking more like something that could come together since the subject
of the thread was changed, I have to say that it's great news in
itself!