[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:42:36 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com

> > mysqldump -umythtv -pmythtv --xml mythconverg program >program.xml
> >
> > Throw in an XSLT transform or two, and you could do the whole thing
> > externally fairly simply.
>
> Hey, that's cool. I guess I should read the 5.x docs instead of just
> doing everything the 4.1 way I've always done everything. :)

Can someone point me to this document?  What's the 5.x and 4.1
documents of, what project?  I won't deny, I'm no expert here.

I was messing around with a bash script to grep relevant data from
that mysqldump command.  I was thinking of and thinking of an XML to
XMLTV converter using simple the sed and awk scripting.  Apparently
that's an XSL Transformation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSLT)
something I have no experience in, is this something simple to someone

> > Is
> > Not that I understand the value of an extract, still, particularly
> > if the intent would be to then share via torrent/usenet/whatever,
> > since why not just grab directly the same way the original person
> > got it into the myth database.  I'll buy the local LAN argument,
> > but then you might as well just ship the XML file that you used to
> > load the one myth box to the other myth box and load them both from
> > the same source.  Not an offense, I just don't get it.
>
> I don't get it, either.

I'm going to assume that's an honest question, and try to answer
accordingly.  First, if it's not got any useful merit to you, you
don't need to use it.  No one is asking anyone to code it for them, or
trying to claim it's a good or practical or useful solution for
everyone.  Not really the issue, I don't think.  But, script that
allows export of data instantly creates data sources for anyone who
wants to create them, even if they can't do programming.  I'm sure
there are several potential reasons, I'm guessing maybe a few people
who contribute manually entered data to that OzTivo project might want
to play with it, and, I guess I can share my personal reason:

There are lots of GUI MySQL interfaces already out there.  Most people
(IMHO) find using a GUI interface to enter data easier than doing it
by command line SQL.  One can open the programs table in mythconverge
with a pretty GUI interface and add xmltvid's to existing data, add
star ratings to movie data, write their own show descriptions…  I know
if I go through the effort of adding comments and star ratings to the
data I have, my wife and friends would be more than happy to have some
automated way of getting it into other MythTV backends where they have
the exact same EIT data I have, but without star ratings and the like.

If a community source data is ever to come about, this could be one
way of helping it along.