[mythtv-users] Building a new MythTV box for the living room

Joacim J jocke4news at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 17:15:56 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, Fredrik Hallgarde <mythtv at tedde.nu> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >
> >     [deletia]
> >     > * I have looked at VIA EPIA MII12000, would that be a good
> >     choice or do
> >     > you
> >
> >     How well does kind of setup handle h264 video?
> >
> >     That would be the only thing that might be a show stopper. My A64
> >     3500+
> >     and X2 3800+ systems have not been able to handle h264 adequately
> >     well.
> >     Basic playback was possible but navigation didn't quite work.
> >
> >     Definitely don't skimp on the frontend in terms of looks and
> >     noise/heat.
> >
> >     Otherwise it will be sitting there in front of your face reminding
> >     yourself how ugly it is, constantly on a day by day basis.
> >
> >     A mac mini makes a really cool living room frontend but I don't know
> >     if it meets your requirements.
> >
> >     > recommend other (what do you have)?
> >     > * Would that be able to run both frontend/backend?
> >     > * Is it compatible with Kubuntu/MythTV?
> >     > * Would you recommend CompactFlash or harddrive if a frontend
> >     only box?
> >

> > Thanks for your answers..
> > I think VIA EPIA MII12000 have support in OpenChrome since it uses
> > CLE266.
> >
> > From the discussion so far I think the following setup-steps
> >
> > Step 1 - Configure the server (AMD X2 3800+, 2 GB)
> > - Throw my existing Kworld DVB-T card in the server
> > - Purchase a new dual DVB-T ( HAUPPAUGE WINTV NOVA-T 500) card for the
> > server (in total 3 receivers)
> > - Get those capture cards working on Kubuntu Feisty
> > - Install MythTV Backend
> >
> > Step 2 - Configure existing HTPC (home cinema with Kubuntu Feisty AMD
> > Athlon 3200+, 1 GB)
> > - Install/configure MythTV frontend to the server
> > - Evaluate the setup
> >
> > Step 3 - Setup a new lightweight HTPC
> > - Specify the hardware configuration and get it started :)
> > - Configuration so far....(until you get me on better thoughts :) )
> >   + VIA EPIA MII12000
> >   + 1 GB RAM
> >   + IDE-CF adapter
> >   + 4 GB CF card
> >   + Samsung Slimline DVD burner
> >   + MCE Remote
> >   + Nice looking case
> >
> I would consider the SP13000 as it has Mpeg4 accelerator as well as a
> Mpeg2 decoder (see the "Comparing the EPIA SP and the EPIA M" section of
> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=444#p1628 for details.) it also has
> SATA which might be of interest if you ever re-deploy the card for other
> use etc.
> I would not expect any available Epia card to handle h264 video.
>
> If you consider any other Epia card than your intended MII12000 I must
> advice you to read about the chipset support closely, the CN400 in the
> SP13000 is fairly well supported and is capable of quite high
> resolutions (but does not necessarily have the CPU perf to use it)
> whereas CN700 has limited linux support and some other limitations.

Ok, I have revised my frontend setup (not yet ordered)
+ VIA EPIA SP13000G
+ 1 GB RAM
+ Samsung Spinpoint 160 GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD (silent)
+ Samsung Slimline DVD burner
+ MCE Remote
+ Nice looking case

Some questions...
- Would it be possible to run complete MythTV (frontend and backend +
requirements such as MySQL) on this setup and not having resource problem
(lack of CPU power etc)??
- Since this motherboard have a fan, how much noise does it generate?
(compared to a AMD Athlon64 3500+ with Zahlman fan which I have in the home
cinema)

The preliminary plan is to have it as frontend only since I have a TV-card
installed in the server. I have tested towards this server with a laptop as
frontend but are not completely satisfied and want to have a fallback to
able to run a full MythTV setup on it. Would it then be better to leave VIA
EPIA and  go for a AMD based system; in that case what CPU would you
recommend? (enough CPU, cool and quite,..)

--
Regards
Joacim