[mythtv-users] Way OT (sorry) - CD burner kaput

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Mon Sep 3 17:55:40 UTC 2007

On Monday 03 September 2007, David Schmidt wrote:
> I hope someone has some quick ideas to justify me burning a bit of OT
> bandwidth....
>
> I'm hoping to upgrade my Jarod's Guide Fc3 0.18.1 clunker to a latest
> rev to get off DD and onto SD.  I pulled down the F7 KDE livecd iso.
> If I try to burn it using xcdroast, it says there is no media found.
> If I do a:
>
> dd if=Fedora-7-KDE-Live-i686.iso of=/dev/cdrom1
>
> It says:
>
> dd: opening `/dev/cdrom1': No medium found
>
> I know I've got the right device name 'cause if I manually eject the
> disc beforehand, it pulls it back in before giving the error.  I've
> never successfully written with this drive before, so can't write off
> it being a hardware problem.  /var/log/messages has nothing.
>
> Any ideas before I write it off and try to get installation media
> elsewhere?
>
> Any way to boot the .iso straight off the JFS partition it's on?

If you have another machine with a web server, and a USB memory stick:

On the machine with the web server loop mount the iso so that you can browse
the contents from a web browser.

Browse to the image directory and get the diskboot image onto the USB stick.

Use the USB stick to boot the machine you want to upgrade, choose http for the
update source and enter the url of your web server.

Cheers,
Remco

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)