[mythtv-users] Resetting Channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 1 17:01:03 UTC 2007

On 09/01/2007 11:59 AM, Rob Dege wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 08/31/2007 02:37 PM, Rob Dege wrote:
>>> The only problem I'm having now is that I have no shows listed in
>>> Upcoming Recordings. Before I did the '--do-channel-updates', I
>>> had 3 shows scheduled to record for today, and a few for next
>>> week.  Now, some are not listed at all, and some are deactiavted,
>>> stating that the show does not match the current program listings
>>> (via mythweb).
>> "Does not match" means you used a "timeslot" record rule and the
>> schedule has changed (which could be due to a channel-mapping issue
>> as below).
>>> Cancelling the show, and then re-adding it does resolve the
>>> problem. However, some shows are in off season right now, so if I
>>> removed them from the scheduled recordings list, I won't be able
>>> to re-add them.
>> This will happen if you have mostly "this channel" recording rules
>> and you change the callsigns of your channels (which is why you
>> should probably have mostly "any channel" rules).
> I believe I have resolved the problem.  First let me say that I did
> follow your suggestions of deleting all video sources, and recreating
> them from within mythtv-setup.  This fixed all of my issues, except
> for the Upcoming Recordings.  It fixed the channel issues in the same
> way that --do-channel-update from mythfilldatabase did.
> The problem with the Upcoming recordings was a little more difficult
> to resolve.  If I deleted an entry from the recording schedule, and
> recreated it (verbatim on the mythweb page), the entry would then
> display in the upcoming recordings section.  So I took a backup of
> the database, removed and recreated an entry in Scheduled recordings,
> then took another backup of the database.
>> From there, I searched the two files for the INSERT entry in the
>> record
> table, and compared them.  The only difference between the two was
> the recordid, and the station.  For Monk, the station='Channel 36' on
> the 1st backup, and station='USA' on the 2nd backup.
> As a test, I did a %s/'Channel 36'/'USA'/g on the 1st database dump,
> recreated the mythconverg database, and restored that dump file.  Not
> only did Monk now appear in the Upcoming recordings, but so did
> Psych, and a few otthers.
> Applying that same search/replace method to the other remaining
> channels resolved the problem.  It was just a process of updating the
> old station id to reflect the new station id.
> Thank again for the assistance Mike.  I think I'm all set now :)

So your callsigns changed from, i.e. "Channel 36" to "USA".  You may
want to consider changing your rules to "Record at any time on any
channel" rules so this won't be an issue again.  Limiting a rule to work
on only one channel requires you to verify that your callsigns /never/
change.  Also, by allowing recordings on other channels, Myth may have
more options, may find showings that you may otherwise miss, ...


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list