[mythtv-users] quiet, small, fanless frontend

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 08:54:58 UTC 2007

Magnus Gustafsson wrote:
> My TV-set is an old CRT so I would not need HD, yet...
>
> I've been looking around for hardware for a while now and think I've
> got a reasonable spec:
> - Via Epia board with CN700 northbridge, fanless
> - 1 GB RAM
> - DVD read/write slim
> - no HD
> - CF card ~1-4 GB
> - a remote controller of some sort
>
> What about the main board? Which is adequate for this project? CN1000,
> LN1000, EN1200? I suppose I should avoid the CX700 northbridge and go
> for the CN700 or am I wrong here?

If you want to stay away from the hassle of bleeding edge openchrome get
a CLE266 based board. ME6000 will work but won't have a CF slot. You can
get flash "disk on module" fairly cheap which work just like IDE drives.
You will need to patch mplayer if you use that for MythVideo, but I
believe xine will work without patching. I'd recommend a MCE remote
(ebay), you may have to build an updated LIRC but once done it's very good.

Cheers,
Tim.