[mythtv-users] Mythtv on FC6 -> Fedora7 Upgrade

CHRIS KOTTING ckotting at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 8 12:59:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 05:59:34 -0500, William Munson wrote
> Shanon Mulley wrote:
> > As FC6 is due to have its support ended soon, I'm trying to upgrade my
> > mythtv FC6 machine to Fedora7.
<snip>
> > Does anyone have any ideas how I can get around this?
> >
> > I have read that it might be better just to re-install, but installing
> > mythtv was a world of pain - I dont want to do that again.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Shanon.
> >

> Perhaps a better route would be to upgrade using a disk set rather
> than using the internet. You should be able to boot into F7 and
> upgrade your installation from the disk set rather than trying to
> upgrade a live system.
>
> Bill

I just did this (upgraded an FC6 box to Fedora 7 using a disk) and here are
the gotchas I hit (and how I fixed them):
 - yum broke because the RPM-python RPM from the latest FC6 update was newer
than the version on the Fedora 7 install disk.  Solution: Boot into the new
install, and manually install the required RPMs from the disk using the "--
force" option.  The required RPMs were rpm, rpm-python, and one other that I
can't recall right now, but if you try to do
# rpm -ivh rpm-python
it will tell you.  Start with that one, and install using
# rpm -ivh --force <package>

 - atrpms broke because the distribution name changed (it's Fedora # instead
of Fedora Core #), and as a result the repo locations were different.
Solution: Edit /etc/yum/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo to change every instance of

/fc (for Fedora Core) to
/f (for Fedora).

Now do a "yum update" and all should be well (at least it was for me).

Chris K.