[mythtv-users] Recommendation for replacement motherboard/processor?

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:38:11 UTC 2007

Bill,

Have you though about *downgrading* and going for a backend frontend
arrangement?
E.g. Use a Pentium 3 class machine as the backend and your current AMD setup
as your frontend. With the recording load etc taken off will it handle the
HD?
It'd be cheap! And much more environmentally friendly (you recycle both the
AMD and someone elses P3).
You can also hide the backend which is likely to be more wife friendly...

Steve

On 23/05/07, Matthew McClement <mythtv at macker.co.uk> wrote:

> William Munson wrote:
> > Sounds like a good possibility. I already have a SPDIF from the existing
> > setup so as long as the header is there I should be able to make it
> > work. Power supply is a stout 450 watt so thats not an issue either. Any
> > other systems that are good? How about Pentium 4 dual core systems?

P4D's are too hot, TDP is 95-130W, and not much faster than the AMD. I'd