[mythtv-users] Recommendation for replacement motherboard/processor?

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Wed May 23 07:38:47 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Sounds like a good possibility. I already have a SPDIF from the existing
> setup so as long as the header is there I should be able to make it
> work. Power supply is a stout 450 watt so thats not an issue either. Any
> other systems that are good? How about Pentium 4 dual core systems?

P4D's are too hot, TDP is 95-130W, and not much faster than the AMD. I'd
guess the 4200+ is about the same speed as a 3.2Ghz Pentium D940.

If you want to go down the Intel route get a C2D based machine.
Potentially much higher performance if you're prepared to do some
overclocking but the base price will be a bit higher and there aren't
currently any decent C2D based motherboards with NVidia onboard video(I
don't consider the Intel integrated graphics mature enough for HD
playback/resolutions yet).

Matt