[mythtv-users] Recommendation for replacement motherboard/processor?

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Wed May 23 05:08:34 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Matthew McClement wrote:

> board/processor/memory
> deals
> >>>

> >> For CPUs the $69  AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2
> >> Cache Socket AM2 Processor is a great deal.
> >>

> > I'd be inclined to pay the little extra for the 4200+, as it gives you a
> > bit more wiggle room when playing the higher bitrate MPEG2 streams,
> > especially if you have transcodes happening in the background, and the
> > TDP is the same as the 3600+.
> >
> > Combine that with Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3(a near perfect ATX HTPC
> > motherboard that's only let down by the fact that it's missing SPDIF on
> > the rear panel I/O) and some value RAM(667 or better is fine, 2x512MB
> > sticks) and you have a nice, fairly cheap, base system. Unless your
> > current power supply is very underpowered(under 200W) it should work.
> >
> > Matt
> >

> Sounds like a good possibility. I already have a SPDIF from the existing
> setup so as long as the header is there I should be able to make it
> work. Power supply is a stout 450 watt so thats not an issue either. Any
> other systems that are good? How about Pentium 4 dual core systems?
>
> Bill

I'm really liking my current setup - Core 2 Duo e4300 overclocked to 3 ghz -
from 1.8ghz (took 5 min to accomplish this on the stock heatsink and with no
voltage increases so no extra power usage). I bought an openbox P5W DH
deluxe mobo from newegg and got a good 2 gig ram deal... upgrade path is
available when the july 22nd price drops happen on the intel q6600 quad core
and move the e4300 to my personal system. The P5W is a rediculous mobo with
eveyrthing I could possibly want on it 6 sata II connections (which are all
used), dual gigabit nics, firewire, 3 pci slots, 2 pci-e x1, pci-e x16
etc... Worth the cost to me anyway. If I didn't have the need for 3 pci card
slots I may have gone with a cheaper mobo.. Wish the HDHR was available when
I built my original system.

Total cost: three hundred or so.

As to performance - I can play back highly compressed 1080p x264 content
without frames dropping or sound issues and hddvd/bluray works fine and
looks rediculous

But unless you need the x264 decompression stuff the amd dual core above
should be fine