[mythtv-users] Packet dropped due to uncorrectable error.

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Sat May 12 16:29:41 UTC 2007

Hello Brian,

Saturday, May 12, 2007, 8:02:22 PM, you wrote:

> I certainly don't know much about TV in Russia, but I'm assuming you're
> using PAL, and at what I would call "standard definition".

> Looks like you are trying to use XvMC, which generally only works with
> nVidia-based cards and their drivers.

> You seem to be using a Matrox video card of some sort, so the first
> thing I'd look at is what video driver you are using.

> That CPU would never play back any sort of high-definition without XvMC,
> maybe not even then, though it *should* be able to play back standard
> def MPEG2, assuming you are not asking it to do too much else at the
> time. A PIII 500 or 600 is generally considered the minimum to do SD MPEG2.

> Something like KDE would also soak up a lot of resources, I'd use a
> mimimalist window manager, if any at all.

> So:

> What is the format of the video you're getting from your DVB-S card,
> MPEG2 PAL?

> What desktop are you using, and with what window manager?

> I'd certainly like to help, but there are so many possibilities at this
> point that a *lot* more information is required.

> Can you get a pre-recorded video file and see if you can play that back?
> Can you make and play back a recording? (you said the problem is with
> live TV).

Uhh...
I'd like to apologise, as I'm not too experienced with Linux and
that's actually my first experience with DVB-S. So I might be giving
some stupid answers or maybe asking some stupid questions...

But I'll try to answer your questions, one by one. So:

1. I have my antenna positioned to Hotbird, I assume the DVB stream is
MPEG2 PAL (I'm almost sure of that).
2. I'm not specifically trying to run XvMC, as I don't know what it
is. Most of the settings are at their default values...
3. I have Matrox G400 graphics card with "unofficial MGA driver" from
http://www.tuxx-home.at.
4. I'm currently using KDE.
5. With my current setup, I'm able to play video files (DivX/XviD,
MPEG2 and so on) in Myth. It runs smoothly and with only 20-30% CPU
load. As I'm not yet going to watch HD channels, I expect SD MPEG2
stream from my DVB-S card should not be a problem.
6. On the same machine I can watch Sat-TV just by typing
'mplayer dvb://<channel name>'. The video is fine and I don't see any
performance problems.

I'm not sure what else I should mention... Please ask questions if
something is not clear, I'll try to answer.

Thanks!