[mythtv-users] Was: 5C - DOH! Now: Set Top Box Passthrough/Converter Solution Device

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 11 17:59:08 UTC 2007

On 05/11/2007 01:32 PM, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> According to the DVD-CCA, any upscaling DVD player cannot output the
> signal over unencrypted digital channels.  BluRay and HD-DVD are not
> supposed to output digital signals over channels that don't have HDCP.
> You can still get the analog output, but not digital.  So, if you wanted
> a capture device, you'd want to look at the YPbPr connections, and not
> the HDMI connections.

Only if the source material contains the Image Constraint Token (ICT).
However, rumor has it that the studios have agreed to never use the ICT
until 2010 or 2012.  That way, today's ignorant consumers will go out
and buy loads of HDCP-supporting equipment.*  Then, by the time the ICT
sees its first use, the market will be so permeated with HDCP-supporting
(and requiring) components that the consumer will have no way out...
Suddenly all these people who went out and bought new equipment
specifically for its HDCP/HDMI** support will--for the first
time--understand that they bought something with DRM (Digital Rights
Management/enD-user Rights reMoval).

Oh, and even better, in the mean-time, those of us (including Patrick
and myself) who try to convince others that HDCP/HDMI is DRM look like
fools because today HDCP/HDMI don't prevent usage and--in many
cases--actually make things work.

Mike

*So, the difference between these two TV's is that this one supports
HDMI /and/ HDCP.  I don't know what those are, but they both have the
letters HD in them, so it must be something that's for high-definition.
Therefore, I'd have to be stupid to not want it.

**HDCP and HDMI must be good because without them, I can't hook my
<insert high-tech electronic device name here> to my <other electronic
device>.  Therefore, they must be "enabling" technologies--why would
someone say they limit me?