[mythtv-users] HDTV 5.1 sound rear channels become front channels?

JS Boyd mythtv at futures.com
Fri May 11 17:47:39 UTC 2007

On Network HDTV recorded with the HDHomerun via QAM that is passed to my
stereo via SPDIF sometimes it appears that only the rear channels of a
5.1 HDTV audio stream will be played or may be everything except the
center dialog channel. For instance, you will hear all the incidental
music and sound effects but no dialog or very muted dialog.

It seems to happen when the network switches 2 channel audio to 5.1
channel audio. There is a perceptible shift in the audio as it changes
from 2 channels to 5.1 channels. My receiver identifies both the 2
channel and 5.1 channel audio as it shifts. The commercial before the
program starts will be fine in 2 channel, but the program will start and
there will be no dialog.

The workaround is to just ESC out and restart the playback of that
program at the current position. But it appears like something is being
changed in the audio that Myth is missing. It happens with CBS regularly.

I'd suspect my receiver, except that it never happens with DVD playback
when they transition from 2 channel to 5.1 channel audio.

Anyone else seeing this?

--
==
Ubuntu Edgy 6.10
MythTV SVN version below
AMD 64 x2 4200+ 65W Energy Efficient Processor
Abit NF-N2 nView Motherboard
NVidia 6150 video VGA/DVI
PVR-500 (Phillips Chipset)
 IVTV 0.7.0-2+2.6.17.1-10.34
HDHomerun
1GB RAM
500GB Seagate SATA: ST3500641AS
SONY DVD RW AW-G170A
Library API version     : 0.20.20070327-1
Source code version     : 13427
Network Protocol Version: 34
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_xvmcw using_v4l using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_ivtv using_firewire using_libavc_5_3 using_dbox2 using_hdhr using_iptv using_live using_lirc using_joystick_menu using_x11 using_xv using_xrandr using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_opengl_vsync using_opengl using_frontend using_backend using_bindings_perl