[mythtv-users] Was: 5C - DOH! Now: Set Top Box Passthrough/Converter Solution Device

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Fri May 11 17:32:15 UTC 2007

Joe Borne wrote:
> So I'm betting HDMI encryption institution will fail. Even if it
> doesn't, DVI and Component connections will be around for a very long
> time. Those formats do not carry encryption and cannot ever carry it due
> to the fact they are there to support the legacy devices that aren't
> HDMI-key compatible. So our STB's are already outputting clean
> unencrypted signals. We are simply talking about converting those
> signals from one format and transport medium to another.

A DVI connection can still require HDCP.  Just because your nice Comcast
DCT6200 as a DVI port on it, does NOT mean that you can hook it up to
your Dell monitor which doesn't support HDCP[1].  The PS3 also requires
HDCP over the HDMI connection.  Such a device will not work with these
connections which are becoming the majority of connections.

According to the DVD-CCA, any upscaling DVD player cannot output the
signal over unencrypted digital channels.  BluRay and HD-DVD are not
supposed to output digital signals over channels that don't have HDCP.
You can still get the analog output, but not digital.  So, if you wanted
a capture device, you'd want to look at the YPbPr connections, and not
the HDMI connections.

To say that HDMI and DVI don't carry encryption or that the encryption
is going anyway is just wrong.

--Patrick

[1] Want proof?
http://patrick.wagstrom.net/weblog/linux/mythtv/comcast-says-screw-you.xml