[mythtv-users] Changing aspect ratio?

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Thu May 3 17:46:55 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/03/2007 09:48 AM, David Frascone wrote:
>
>> My plasma is a 1024x768 display, when I use HDMI or VGA inputs.  (I just
>> ordered a component cable, so this may soon change!)
>>
>> Anyway, Right now, HD recorded on different tuners (HDHomeRun -vs-
>> Firewire) seem to have different shapes.  Both *should* have a 16:9
>> ratio, like my TV, but when I get video off of the firewire, I have top
>> and bottom letterboxes.
>>
>> I have tried increasing the vertical percentage thingie (settings / TV /
>> Playback / 7th page or so).  A 12-15 or so fixes it perfectly for
>> firewire HD -- BUT -- all other tuners are now cropped.
>>
>> Any suggestions?  Could I maybe add a custom setting to the aspects
>> easily?  Would it be a code change, or a settings change somewhere? I
>> don't mind pressing W a few times during playback.
>>

> You need to properly specify the display's aspect ratio in X.  This
> means that you cannot specify 100x100DPI (because your display does not
> have square pixels).  This will not be a problem with 0.21 (which
> doesn't need 100x100DPI), but until then, you may see a few places where
> graphics and text don't line up correctly or fonts seem to be the wrong
> size.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards
>
> and ignore the 100x100DPI parts.  Instead, use 100DPI vertical.  (I.e.
> "DisplaySize 346 195").

I made those modifications, but it didn't really seem to do anything.
(I checked the Xorg.log file -- the changes did do *something*, but
nothing noticable).

HDTV via HDHomeRun looks great, if I change the aspect ratio to 4:3.
(Full screen on my 16x9 monitor).  HDTV via firewire has top and bottom
letterboxes, and no aspect change removes them.  (Well, I think a couple
of the zooms remove them, but also remove most of the picture)

Any other solutions?  I'm guessing my next recourse is to add a new
aspect change to the frontend menu.

-Dave