[mythtv-users] Changing aspect ratio?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 3 15:51:54 UTC 2007

On 05/03/2007 09:48 AM, David Frascone wrote:
> My plasma is a 1024x768 display, when I use HDMI or VGA inputs.  (I just
> ordered a component cable, so this may soon change!)
>
> Anyway, Right now, HD recorded on different tuners (HDHomeRun -vs-
> Firewire) seem to have different shapes.  Both *should* have a 16:9
> ratio, like my TV, but when I get video off of the firewire, I have top
> and bottom letterboxes.
>
> I have tried increasing the vertical percentage thingie (settings / TV /
> Playback / 7th page or so).  A 12-15 or so fixes it perfectly for
> firewire HD -- BUT -- all other tuners are now cropped.
>
> Any suggestions?  Could I maybe add a custom setting to the aspects
> easily?  Would it be a code change, or a settings change somewhere? I
> don't mind pressing W a few times during playback.

You need to properly specify the display's aspect ratio in X.  This
means that you cannot specify 100x100DPI (because your display does not
have square pixels).  This will not be a problem with 0.21 (which
doesn't need 100x100DPI), but until then, you may see a few places where
graphics and text don't line up correctly or fonts seem to be the wrong
size.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards

and ignore the 100x100DPI parts.  Instead, use 100DPI vertical.  (I.e.
"DisplaySize 346 195").

Mike