[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV in Gentoo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 31 00:05:17 UTC 2007

On 03/30/2007 05:54 PM, Santiago Almenara wrote:

> I have set up 2 Gentoo system's and trying to install a separate
> frontend and a backend.
>
> The problem what when I do:
>
> emerge -pv mythtv
> USE="frontendonly" emerge -pv mythtv
> USE="backendonly" emerge -pv mythtv
>
> It seems that it needs to download and compile the same packages. For
> instance, I know that I don't need mysql for a frontend-only system,
> or qt for a backend-only….
>
> What can I do to install only those packages I need for the frontend
> or backend???

Because people didn't pay any attention to the fact that configure's
"--help" output explicitly said that "--disable-frontend" and
"--disable-backend" were for porting /only/ and would break your build
on Linux systems, and because all my yelling

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/182899#182899
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/214199#214199
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/157748#157748
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/157964#157964
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/183798#183798

failed to convince people that the options were not for their use (and
that they didn't want them, anyway), the devs (finally) modified
configure to ignore those options. The following lines are taken
directly from configure:

# disabled due to abuse in Gentoo ebuild
# --disable-frontend) frontend="no"
# ;;
# disabled due to abuse in Gentoo ebuild
# --disable-backend) backend="no"
# ;;

(The reason Gentoo is singled out is because users of other
distributions are more commonly using packages compiled by a package
manager who knows what he's doing. However, as long as the ebuild still
contains the "frontendonly" and "backendonly" USE flags, the ebuild is
still abusing the options--granted, Myth ignores the abuse, now, but
it's still abuse.)

Oh, and in case you're thinking of doing something with it, let me
proactively say you don't want to use "--disable-audio-oss" either.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/184732#184732
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/211383#211383

Mike