[mythtv-users] Display aspect ratio not right...?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Mar 27 16:58:02 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/27/2007 10:50 AM, Rich West wrote:
>
>> I've had MythTV installed since December (aka: not long) and there has
>> been one problem that has been somewhat annoying.  When we go to watch a
>> recording (from TV) or a video (DVD ISO image), the display aspect seems
>> to be a bit off.  It is hard to explain, but I will try... :)

>> On both sets, I have them set to "fill".
>>

> And there's your problem.  If you use an "Aspect Override," you're
> telling Myth, "I don't care about the real aspect of the video, display
> it my way, instead."  Set it to "Off" and everything works properly.
> Then, when you have a show you want to watch differently, use the Menu
> to change the Aspect.

Ah-ha!  I knew it had to be something straight forward that I was
looking right past. :)  Thanks!

Now that this looks to have worked, I have another related question... :)

How does everyone handle having a 16:9 set and displaying SD (4:3)
recorded video?  Is there a way to tell MythTV to "stretch" (my wife
likes 4:3 stretched to the screen.. what can I say...) recorded 4:3
video only and display the DVD Video stuff alone?

-Rich