[mythtv-users] Can't get a stable xorg.conf file

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:27:39 UTC 2007

I'm no expert but if I was in your shoes I'd be worried about this bit
of your log.

(WW) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default
> mode "nvidia-auto-select"
> (WW) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested
> mode.
> (WW) NVIDIA(0):
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be
> 640 x 480
> (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's
> EDID; cannot compute DPI
> (WW) NVIDIA(0):     from CRT-0's EDID.

It appears that you aren't specifiying a mode (resolution) in your
xorg.conf file and without EDID information from your monitor the
nvidia-auto-select (whatever that is) can't work, and is defaulting to
640x480.

That example xorg.conf you quoted also only specifies 640x480 (not
unreasonable for a TV-OUT), but if you're using an LCD display then
you probably want to put the native resolution of your display in
there.

I'd stick with the xorg.conf that you've got, but start experimenting
with putting in different mode statements.

HTH