[mythtv-users] Takes long time to enter "Watch Recordings" menu

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 5 16:51:10 UTC 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> following this thread with interest, I don't think the clues help an
> issue I've had lately.
>
> I have two frontends, one is my main HD frontend, with a Athlon64
> 3200+ (o/c'd) and 1GB of RAM and the other is an AthlonXP 1600+ (in
> the bedroom) with 512MB of RAM (with XvMC enabled for HDTV). The watch
> recordings screen is *slow* on the Athlon64, like a few seconds delay
> between pressing up/down and it actually moving. The AthlonXP is fine
> its speed in moving through the shows. None of the preview/image
> settings change this behavior on either system.
>
> Both systems are on the same 100bT network.
> anyone have any ideas?

You describe both systems as "frontends" but where is the backend? If
it is local on the AthlonXP and talking over the network to the 3200+
that would explain things perfectly.

Are you using any NFS mounts or the like? This slows the recordings
menu down considerably as well, there was a thread on that a while ago.

So where is the B/E and where is the video stored? If one or both
needs the network to talk to the frontend things will slow down.