[mythtv-users] Takes long time to enter "Watch Recordings" menu

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:19:30 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 06:57:43PM -0500, Tony Lill wrote:
> > The problem is that the frontend downloads program info for every
> > recording you have, not just the ones it is displaying at the
> > moment. This means multiple megabytes of data in your case. If you
> I've got a note on my TODO to look into allowing the frontend to
> only request recordings from a specific recording group, but that is
> very low priority for me right now.
> > to timeout. Another possible issue is that it also checks if each
> > file exists, so if you have disks spun down of are using an
> > automounter, that adds a bunch more delay.
> This is true for 0.20 and prior, but 0.21 will not do this anymore.
> This was being done to allow the MasterBackendOverride setting to
> force the master to hand out it's own info for any file that it could
> serve up even if it was recorded on a slave.  Now, we just determine
> that information when you actually go to play a file, rather than
> prechecking every file when you get the recording list.
> > They are re-designing communications for 0.21 so it caches all of this
> > crap, and only updates what it needs. Whether or not it solves all the
> > problems remains to be seen.
> Yes, in current SVN, we cache the program list so that we only
> retrieve the list if we receive an event from the backend that
> indicates the list has changed.  When you do things like switch
> recording groups, etc. we just use the cached copy of the list.
> >
> > I do have a patch...
> This is similar to what I was thinking.  I saved it in my patches
> directory for when I finally take a look at this. :)

following this thread with interest, I don't think the clues help an
issue I've had lately.

I have two frontends, one is my main HD frontend, with a Athlon64
3200+ (o/c'd) and 1GB of RAM and the other is an AthlonXP 1600+ (in
the bedroom) with 512MB of RAM (with XvMC enabled for HDTV). The watch
recordings screen is *slow* on the Athlon64, like a few seconds delay
between pressing up/down and it actually moving. The AthlonXP is fine
its speed in moving through the shows. None of the preview/image
settings change this behavior on either system.

Both systems are on the same 100bT network.
anyone have any ideas?

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -