[mythtv-users] Takes long time to enter "Watch Recordings" menu

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:01:11 UTC 2007

> On Mar 5, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > following this thread with interest, I don't think the clues help an
> > issue I've had lately.
> >
> > I have two frontends, one is my main HD frontend, with a Athlon64
> > 3200+ (o/c'd) and 1GB of RAM and the other is an AthlonXP 1600+ (in
> > the bedroom) with 512MB of RAM (with XvMC enabled for HDTV). The watch
> > recordings screen is *slow* on the Athlon64, like a few seconds delay
> > between pressing up/down and it actually moving. The AthlonXP is fine
> > its speed in moving through the shows. None of the preview/image
> > settings change this behavior on either system.
> >
> > Both systems are on the same 100bT network.
> > anyone have any ideas?
>
> You describe both systems as "frontends" but where is the backend? If
> it is local on the AthlonXP and talking over the network to the 3200+
> that would explain things perfectly.

the backend is on a completely separate machine (with no frontend
duty), its an Athlon64 3200+ as well, with 1GB of ram and the RAID10
recording array.

> Are you using any NFS mounts or the like? This slows the recordings
> menu down considerably as well, there was a thread on that a while ago.

The AthlonXP does not have the recordings drive mounted via NFS, the
Athlon64 does(it runs a backend process occasionally for firewire
recording), but unmounting and using just the backend protocol does
not speed things up any. I also compiled in the patch in SVN that
forces the frontend to use the backend protocol even if the recordings
drive is mapped, this didn't make any difference in speed.

> So where is the B/E and where is the video stored? If one or both
> needs the network to talk to the frontend things will slow down.

I should also add that on the Athlon64, when I'm in the Show list
(left side tree), the scroll speed is fine, its just that as soon as
the title list is active things slow down, not just scrolling between
shows, but also pressing right to open the show menu takes some time.

thanks!
--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!