[mythtv-users] Writing a dual layer DVD+R DL disk

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 4 18:52:44 UTC 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 11:39 AM, Ackster wrote:

> Mark Smith wrote:
>> I'm trying to write an image onto a dual layer DVD+R disk using
>> growisofs:
>>
>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
>>
>> On my FC6 Myth box, it consistently gets a third of the way in before
>> failing:
>>
> I also had much troubles with my brand new Plextor.  Then I
> upgraded to
> a 2.6.20x kernel, switched to a SATA model and stopped using the
> apparently poor PATA drivers, using the new SCSI - SATA drivers in the
> new kernel, and switched media to Verbatim.  Ever since, I've had
> complete success.  Before that, every DL was a coaster, and that gets
> costly to test out.  Go SATA and your life will become less stressful.

If it's the only optical drive in a Linux box some mobos have
problems booting from a SATA device so you'd need a separate PATA DVD/
CD drive to boot and set up a system.

Basically it's the drive, the media or the software (or some
combination). Since two systems and two drives both have problems
that would point to the media.

But that brings up a question, are you using SCSI emulation or
writing to the drive directly as an IDE device? SCSI emulation has
been around longer and is probably better debugged, and it can be
used with SATA or PATA devices. With a SATA drive you have no choice,
you have to use SCSI emulation, and that may be what solved Mark's
problems, not the fact that it was SATA.

But having said that, the Plextor SATA drive(s) are quite nice, as is
most the stuff they sell despite the price premium.