[mythtv-users] Myth upgrade 0.19->0.20 and MySQL upgrade 4.1->5.0 ?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat Mar 3 08:09:42 UTC 2007

> Just wondering if anyone has a link to a repository of known
> "gotchas" when upgrading MythTV 0.19 to 0.20, and at the same time
> upgrading MySQL from 4.1.x to 5.0.x?
>
> FWIW, I've got *reliably working* MythTV setup on Gentoo for my
> parents.  My dad wants the MythArchive functionality; unfortunately,
> installing MythArchive requires an upgrade.  Current: 0.19_p10505,
> destination: 0.20_p12172.  Likewise, portage wants to upgrade MySQL:
> 4.1.21 to 5.0.26-r2.
>
> I live 150 miles away from them, and so I'd hate to break it!
> There's a *lot* of posts on the subject, so I was hoping someone had
> compiled an upgrade guide.

When I upgraded to mysql5 I had a problem with key sizes since my database
was quite old and hence didn't have the following as is defined in the
latest incarnation of the mc.sql file.
       ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1;

Gentoo defaults to utf8 for mysql5 which at least doubles the key sizes
such that several mythconverg tables go over the 1024 byte limit.

In the end I had to dump the databases using mysqldump in mysql4, remove
them, create an empty one using mysql5 with the mythtv mc.sql file and
then merge in the old databases.

--
Robin Gilks