[mythtv-users] /dev/lirc0 missing

nightshade at podiluk.com nightshade at podiluk.com
Fri Mar 2 17:45:14 UTC 2007


I'm trying to get MythTv installed on FC6. I've followed the excellent
guide by Jarod. I did the part setting up lirc and when I used irw I did
get output when I pressed the buttons. I continued on with the install and
everything went fine and I can watch TV and recored shows. I went to go
use my remote and nothing... I tried using irw to test and it just returns
back to the prompt without doing anything. I have a MCE USB RC6 remote.

Here are logs and config files of everything I can think of:

[root at media1 log]# uname -r

[root at media1 dev]# rpm -qa \*lirc\*

[root at media1 etc]# cat modprobe.conf
alias char-major-61 lirc_mceusb2
alias eth0 skge
alias eth1 forcedeth
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_sil
alias scsi_hostadapter1 sata_nv
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-2 snd-mpu401
options snd-card-2 index=2
options snd-mpu401 index=2
remove snd-mpu401 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 2 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-mpu401
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-9746
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-9746
# ivtv modules setup
#alias char-major-81 videodev
#alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
install lirc_mceusb2 /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install

[root at media1 rules.d]# cat lirc.rules
KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*",   NAME="lirc%n"
KERNEL=="lirc0",                SYMLINK="lirc"

[root at media1 dev]# /sbin/lsmod |grep irc
lirc_mceusb            13152  0
lirc_dev               16788  1 lirc_mceusb

[root at media1 dev]# cat /var/log/dmesg |grep irc
lirc_dev: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_mceusb
USB Microsoft IR Transceiver Driver v0.2

Feb 28 21:53:37 media1 lircd-0.8.1-CVS[8159]: lircd(userspace) ready
Feb 28 21:53:50 media1 lircd-0.8.1-CVS[8159]: accepted new client on
Feb 28 21:53:50 media1 lircd-0.8.1-CVS[8159]: could not open /dev/lirc
Feb 28 21:53:50 media1 lircd-0.8.1-CVS[8159]: default_init(): No such device
Feb 28 21:53:50 media1 lircd-0.8.1-CVS[8159]: caught signal

[root at media1 dev]# ll lirc*
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Feb 28 21:53 lircd

When irw is run lircd crashes. Looks like /dev/lirc0 is not being created.
There was a thread about a month ago
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/253457) but there was
no good answer to it. I'm stumped on how to fix this. This is the last
thing preventing me from replacing my TiVo.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list