[mythtv-users] Using commercial PVR (Topfield, Humax, etc) as a frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 2 22:29:41 UTC 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:

> Well, if I understand you right, the Kiss DP558 could be your
> choice; is it just analog cable or antenna, no digital broadcast.
> It is basically a Linux box, hard drive 80, 160 or 200 GB, DVD-
> player (no writer!), Ethernet (officially 100Mb, but it's real
> speed is much slower), and an ftp-server.  It comes with a PC-
> server for various formats (video, audio, pictures; indeed also
> shows recorded by mythtv, but you have to guess from the filename
> which program you are going to play...) for Windows and Mac, and
> there are several open source servers for Linux (and Windows too,
> for that matter). It is programmable from a dedicated kiss-website.
>
> It is some € 350,- in the Netherlands. Since a few years we own
> one, and we are rather satisfied with it.

I think he said he wanted to go DVB so he'd have to add a digital
capture card, but that sounds like a very reasonable price for the EU.

There's supposed to be free trade in the EU but I suspect it's like
the "free trade" we have with Canada and Mexico - it means my job can
be freely exported away but if I want to buy something that's another
story :-)