[mythtv-users] Zap2It fiasco - what can we as users do?

Victor Perez spectro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:59:09 UTC 2007

> Michael Jones wrote:
> The best thing he could tell you is: Just wait and see what happens. We
> have already been told that the devs are working on it. I can't think of
> any group better qualified to look into the matter, or more likely to
> succeed.

What are the devs working on?, we need to know. A deal with TMS or any other
listing provider (if any) is not good enough. We need to make mythtv
independent of any third party commercial source and I suggest the devs to
come out of the dark and talk so we can coordinate a single effort,
otherwise we are going to have a mess.

Our current scenario:
- Group A (the devs) is doing God knows what
- Groups B, C, D and F are negotiating a license with TMS to create a
subscription based datadirect.
- Groups H, I, J, etc are coming up with free solutions (bittorrent, nntp,
cddb like, etc)

What is going to happen:
- Some groups comes out with a commercial solution
- Others create a bittorrent based solution
- The devs come out with their own thing and since they manage the code
refuse to merge the other solutions.
- Other groups fork the code
- Welcome to mythhell

Regards,