[mythtv-users] Zap2It fiasco - what can we as users do?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:09:32 UTC 2007

On 6/26/07, Victor Perez <spectro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/22/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Michael Jones wrote:
> > The best thing he could tell you is: Just wait and see what happens. We
> > have already been told that the devs are working on it. I can't think of
> > any group better qualified to look into the matter, or more likely to
> > succeed.
> >

> What are the devs working on?, we need to know. A deal with TMS or any other
> listing provider (if any) is not good enough. We need to make mythtv
> independent of any third party commercial source and I suggest the devs to
> come out of the dark and talk so we can coordinate a single effort,
> otherwise we are going to have a mess.
>
> Our current scenario:
> - Group A (the devs) is doing God knows what
> - Groups B, C, D and F are negotiating a license with TMS to create a
> subscription based datadirect.
> - Groups H, I, J, etc are coming up with free solutions (bittorrent, nntp,
> cddb like, etc)
>
> What is going to happen:
> - Some groups comes out with a commercial solution
> - Others create a bittorrent based solution
> - The devs come out with their own thing and since they manage the code
> refuse to merge the other solutions.
> - Other groups fork the code
> - Welcome to mythhell

welcome to the world of OSS :D
if you have an itch, scratch it.

this isn't necessarily a bad thing to have multiple groups working on
multiple solutions.  we may end up with several ways to configure our
program data.  and it's been stated that the timeline associated with
these efforts spans different times.  some are possibly stopgap
solutions, others are long term possibilities that may not be just for
the Myth community, but anyone interested in program data.  we're
possibly witnessing the birth of a completely new OSS product!
exciting stuff  :)