[mythtv-users] HDMI & the elimination of customised modelines for 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:10:22 UTC 2007

On 6/4/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'll take the lack of response to this question that the info is probably
> wrong/inaccurate?

I think it's probably because it wasn't entirely clear what you were asking :)

> Alternatively, I'm wondering whether HDMI capable STBs and DVD players also
> calculate the (equivalent) modeline based on the TV's EDID info, or just use
> some inbuilt timing information for the common formats (720p, 1080i, 1080p).
> Anyone know anything about this, or have some standard HD modelines that
> should work on most HDMI inputs.

If you run x with verbose logging (can't remember the command line
option off the top of my head), it will give you endless detail on
what your monitor returns as acceptable modelines and (most
importantly) the description it uses for those in-built modelines. So
for example, my Xorg/monitor combination has an 'inbuilt' modeline
that it calls 1920x1080_100i - for PAL 1080i.

STB's appear to query the display for supported input formats. My
hidef freeview box (now useless...) reports the supported resolutions
correctly.

Regards

Mark