[mythtv-users] HDMI & the elimination of customised modelines for 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:43:05 UTC 2007

On 6/4/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/4/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I'll take the lack of response to this question that the info is probably
> > wrong/inaccurate?
>
> I think it's probably because it wasn't entirely clear what you were asking :)

yups.

> > Alternatively, I'm wondering whether HDMI capable STBs and DVD players also
> > calculate the (equivalent) modeline based on the TV's EDID info, or just use
> > some inbuilt timing information for the common formats (720p, 1080i, 1080p).
> > Anyone know anything about this, or have some standard HD modelines that
> > should work on most HDMI inputs.

most set top boxes are dumb in this regard, they don't use the EDID at
all requiring the user to properly set them up. EDID is basically
useless for most TV's as the values are wrong. Some are correct
though, and some companies have even fixed the wrong EDID information
in firmware updates.

Your best bet is to use one of the modeline database standard
modelines, or the NVidia modepool (both explain in the mythtv wiki).
As these use the standard ATSC settings and should work on all TV's.
You may need to disable usage of some parts of the EDID detection to
get them to work properly.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!