[mythtv-users] Question for Australian DVB-T users

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 03:20:33 UTC 2007

On 01/06/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Aussie free to air broadcasters each have multiple DVB-T channels.
> When they broadcast something in Hi Def it's usually on a specific
> channel - eg I believe Channel 7 Sydney uses 7 for Standard Def and 70
> for Hi Def (though most of the time what's broadcast on 70 is of
> course SD - they pick and choose what gets broadcast in HD).
>
> At the moment I only have the SD channels configured in Myth (eg 7 but
> not 70), but was wondering whether it might be better to replace them
> with the HD channels, so that way I'd benefit when/if something does
> get broadcast in HD and the rest of the time I'd get the normal
> program schedule in SD as I do now. I guess the downside would be
> larger file sizes.

A quick question - do you want to record HD content, and can you play
it back? If not, just leave your channel configuration as is :). A
couple of thoughts:

i) If you want to take advantage of HD content whenever it's shown
(either native HD material or upscaled SD material), replace your SD
channels with their HD counterparts so that the HDTV channels are all
that the scheduler is aware of.

ii) If you want the most flexibility, add the HD channels to your
existing SD channels, and use a combination of channel priorities,
custom rules, and any HDTV-specific listings flags to ensure *true* HD
material is recorded from the HD channels, and SD material is recorded
from your existing standard definition channels.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/