[mythtv-users] Question for Australian DVB-T users

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Jun 1 03:28:00 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/06/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Aussie free to air broadcasters each have multiple DVB-T channels.
> > When they broadcast something in Hi Def it's usually on a specific
> > channel - eg I believe Channel 7 Sydney uses 7 for Standard Def and 70
> > for Hi Def (though most of the time what's broadcast on 70 is of
> > course SD - they pick and choose what gets broadcast in HD).
> >
> > At the moment I only have the SD channels configured in Myth (eg 7 but
> > not 70), but was wondering whether it might be better to replace them
> > with the HD channels, so that way I'd benefit when/if something does
> > get broadcast in HD and the rest of the time I'd get the normal
> > program schedule in SD as I do now. I guess the downside would be
> > larger file sizes.
>
> A quick question - do you want to record HD content, and can you play
> it back? If not, just leave your channel configuration as is :). A
> couple of thoughts:
>
> i) If you want to take advantage of HD content whenever it's shown
> (either native HD material or upscaled SD material), replace your SD
> channels with their HD counterparts so that the HDTV channels are all
> that the scheduler is aware of.
>
> ii) If you want the most flexibility, add the HD channels to your
> existing SD channels, and use a combination of channel priorities,
> custom rules, and any HDTV-specific listings flags to ensure *true* HD
> material is recorded from the HD channels, and SD material is recorded
> from your existing standard definition channels.

The Shepherd xmltv grabber actually handles this exact situation.  You
tell it what the HD-equivilant channels are (ABC vs ABC-HD).  It pulls
the listings for the ABC, and then copies (by default, you can change
this) the data ONLY when the australian HDTV listings website says the
show is in HD.

It lets you ensure that you only record true HD broadcasts, not simply
upscaled ones.