[mythtv-users] Question for Australian DVB-T users

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Fri Jun 1 02:56:29 UTC 2007

Phill Edwards wrote:
> The Aussie free to air broadcasters each have multiple DVB-T channels.
> When they broadcast something in Hi Def it's usually on a specific
> channel - eg I believe Channel 7 Sydney uses 7 for Standard Def and 70
> for Hi Def (though most of the time what's broadcast on 70 is of
> course SD - they pick and choose what gets broadcast in HD).
>
> At the moment I only have the SD channels configured in Myth (eg 7 but
> not 70), but was wondering whether it might be better to replace them
> with the HD channels, so that way I'd benefit when/if something does
> get broadcast in HD and the rest of the time I'd get the normal
> program schedule in SD as I do now. I guess the downside would be
> larger file sizes.
>
> I'm curious what other folks do about this.

It's a tricky one.   I've struggled with this one too.   I don't know
whether my approach is any good, but here's what I do.

    * Define both sets of channels in mythtv
    * Set a recording priority to a negative value on the HD channels.
      Because the majority of shows aren't shown in HD, they are just
      scaled up to HD res.  So if I say record show X, it will have a
      priority to record on the SD channel.
    * If I really want to record a HD program, say CSI.  I can setup a
      recording rule that forces it to record the HD.

Matt