[mythtv-users] [mythtv] testing mythtv-vid branch - questions & problems

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 10:30:06 UTC 2007

On 7/4/07, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> > The card is driving a Sceptre X37S 1920x1080 37" LCD at 60hz, and also
> > a touchscreen on the front of my silverstone case, I run myth on the
> > touchscreen (for music etc) when the main display is powered off.
> >

> I have been eyeing up that case for a while... Can you give me some
> feedback on how it's working out for you?  Is it easy to blank the
> display to avoid it being too distracting?  Did you simply clone the
> main display or did you use multiple displays in some clever way?  (How
> did you get around different screen sizes on each display?)

Its a nice case, although it is rather expensive! and the build
quality isnt as good as I expected, the top panel feels quite cheap
but once installed the entire thing is very rigid with no rattles.

What ive done is setup both of the displays in xorg.conf but instead
of side by side or top/bottom, i put them "on top" of each other like
this:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier "Dual Display"
         Screen 0 "X37SV-Naga" 0 0
         Screen 1 "TouchScreen" 0 0
         InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

(note that was typed from memory, i cant access the box at the moment)

Then I use switchscreen (http://users.tkk.fi/~spniskan/switchscreen/)
to change between the screens.

If I move the mouse out of the 800x600 area on the touchscreen, it
appears on the LCD panel, and to move back I have to run switchscreen
again, but that doesnt matter because I use a remote to control
mythtv, I run a very simple script that starts mythfrontend, waits for
it to exit, switches screen,  starts myth again, and loops.

So my Enlightenment desktop is always running on both screens, but
myth only runs on one at a time, and each time I exit myth it changes
to the other display. One of the buttons below the touchscreen
controls power so I simply switch it off when I dont need it.

Simple and effective, its been running like that for several months.

Installed in the case I have:

Gigabyte GA-965-DS3
Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz running at  3.0ghz with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF
Geforce 7600GT (Passive Cooled MSI)
2gb ram
1 x 74gb WD Raptor (Boot + OS)
4 x 400 GB Samsung (Raid 5)
1 x Technotrend S1500 + CI Daughterboard + CAM
1 x AverMedia 777 DVB-T
1 x PCi Express SCSI Card
1 x Sata DVDRW
1 x Sata DVD-R
1 x Silverstone 3.5" Front I/O Module
1 x mCubed TBalancer BIGng active fan controller
1 x Tagan 750W PSU (I removed some of the power cables i dont need, so
no warranty for me!)
4 x Good Quality Fans with RPM senders (2 in hd bay, 2 exhaust, all
mounted using rubber bushes no screws)

The system is by no means silent which isn't surprising considering
its almost completely full, the bigNG throttles back the fans as much
as possible,the cpu cooler is very good, right now at 740rpm the cpu
is 40C.

The raid-5 disks spin down when not active (cant remember exactly how
I achieved that, I can find out if you like).

It looks awesome.

Andy