[mythtv-users] Copying database and recordings to a new box

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:42:32 UTC 2007

   In case this can be of help to somebody:

   A naive copying of the database from the original machine to new
one worked. In detail:

   Box A is running Slackware 10.2, mysql 4.1.20 and MythTV 0.20, with
the MythTV recordings under /A/Recordings. Box B is running Slackware
11.0, mysql 5.0.24a and MythTV 0.20, with (future) MythTV recordings
under /B/Recordings.

   The mysql database is stored (in Slackware) under /var/lib/mysql.
So I copied this directory from box A to box B. I also copied all the
recordings in A under /A/Recordings to B under /B/Recordings. I
restarted mysql in B, with no problems. I then reconfigured MythTV in
B with mythtv-setup, to make sure that the master backend is B, and
the location of the recordings is /B/Recordings.

   On launching mythbackend and then mythfrontend, everything works perfectly.

   This is of course due to the hardware and software similarity
between A and B, and the fact that I use mysql for MythTV, and MythTV
alone.