[mythtv-users] PVR 250 + hd5500: consistent /dev/video# ordering

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Jan 29 02:03:24 UTC 2007

mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com wrote:
> I recently installed a hd5500 card in a machine that previously had two
> PVR 250s in it, as /dev/video0 & /dev/video1.  I'm running IVTV 0.8.2
> and the inbuilt 2.6.18 dvb drivers.
>
> I got the hd5500 to work fine after a bit of messing around but recently
> started noticing that what I assume is the 5500's NTSC tuner keeps
> coming up and getting a /dev/video0 or /dev/video1 device.  This is
> fine, I guess, even though I don't need it.

Yeah, udev sucks. You can force the device numbers with module
parameters. For bttv:

options bttv <other stuff> video_nr=0 vbi_nr=0

For ivtv:

options ivtv <other stuff> ivtv_first_minor=1

I have these in my /etc/modprobe.d/misc file. Your system
will be different. I think this is more straight forward
that mucking with udev rules.

--  bjm